I hope this finds you well at the start of another week. My oldest child is home sick today with some sort of winter virus, so I am writing to you from the coffee table in my living room, the first three candles of my advent wreath burning softly in front of me and the glow of the Christmas tree to my left. Hunter is in his room and the house is so quiet I can even hear the hum of the refrigerator in the next room.
The weather outside is wet and rainy, with snow expected later tonight. Inside, however, the house is warm and my kitchen has been full of activity. I just finished making a smoothie for Hunter — gluten free oats, a banana, frozen strawberries and orange juice — and a salad for my lunch. I actually made enough salad for three days’ lunches for me, plus three days’ lunches for Michael.
This recipe was inspired by one from Cookie + Kate for a Pomegranate and Pear Salad. I’m not crazy about the texture of pears, and I love pomegranates but just used them in a salad last week. So I decided to go for another flavor combo that uses another berry that’s in season right now — cranberries! I also added in some walnuts and chickpeas for protein and texture, and left out the goat cheese to make it plant-based.
The ginger dressing is the one thing I left untouched from the original recipe, and it was the absolutely perfect finishing touch! You can find the recipe here, or I will share a photo of the recipe below.
Apple Cranberry Salad with Ginger Dressing
Ingredients for Salad:
- 5 oz container of organic spring mix salad, or spinach and arugula mix
- 1/2 of one large fuji or other sweet apple, sliced thin
- one large handful of whole, raw cranberries
- 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup of chickpeas
- One lemon
For the Dressing:
- In a large storage container (if planning to store) or serving platter, spread out the salad greens
- On top of the salad greens, layer the sliced apples. Squeeze lemon juice over the apples to help prevent browning
- Spread the cranberries, chickpeas and walnuts evenly over the top
- Prepare ginger dressing in a jar (to store in the fridge) or a serving dish, to be drizzled on top of the salad
This was a very simple salad to throw together, and the flavor of the ginger paired with the tang of the vinegar and a kiss of honey, was absolutely perfect! I piled a bunch on a plate and had it for lunch, and it was really hard not to go back for seconds! It would also make a beautiful salad for Christmas with the deep red of the cranberries sprinkled in with the greens.
On the next Mediterranean Monday, I will be sharing another salad. Michael and I have to take a dish to a family Christmas gathering on the 28th, so I’m going to make a simple kale and pomegranate salad with some goat cheese and a lemon dressing. Check back soon!
One thought on “Apple Cranberry Salad with Ginger Dressing”
Fresh and delicious! 🍽
LikeLiked by 1 person